Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I substitute olive oil or coconut oil for 'cooking oil' in cake batter?

Didnt realize that I was out of cooking oil...its late here and I have to bake a cake to drop off at church in the morning!


All I have is pure olive oil and coconut oil! Help!


(its a box of cake mix, if that matters....)Can I substitute olive oil or coconut oil for 'cooking oil' in cake batter?
The olive oil would taste pretty odd, but the coconut oil would work, and you'd just use the same amount.





If you have applesauce on hand, you could use that instead too, and it would be lower in fat!Can I substitute olive oil or coconut oil for 'cooking oil' in cake batter?
Either will work, but the olive oil may not taste right. We cook with coconut oil all the time. Good stuff.
No they are both strong flavored oil, not for baking.
just use a stick of melted butter totally delish! i promise !!!! don't be scared !:):)
Perhaps the coconut oil, but not the olive, as it will affect the taste
Olive oil would probably be better (you dont say if it is extra virgin, cold pressed, etc.) The more refined the oil (olive) the higher the temperature tolerance, ie. Cold pressed extra virgin is more suited to salads whereas light or pure (which is what you have) olive oil should be fine! The coconut oil might be ok but I personally have not cooked with it so cannot vouch for it. The flavour might be too strong and I dont think it has the same heat tolerance....

No comments:

Post a Comment