Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Coconut Oil Substitute for a Cake?

I am making a coconut cake and it calls for 1 tsp coconut oil for 2 9'; cakes. I can't find coconut oil. What can I use in place? The batter already has 1 c coconut milk, so I don't think the oil is for the flavor...





Thanks!Coconut Oil Substitute for a Cake?
My sister made this cake (from the food network, right)? We rewatched the episode and it should be coconut extract, not coconut oil. The cake was wonderful!Coconut Oil Substitute for a Cake?
Yes, the coconut oil in you recipe is not for the flavor..


It's only to moist the cake.


Alternatively you can substitute it with,





1. Corn Oil


2. Vegetable Oil


3. Canola Oil


4. If don't have all above just used melted butter.
You should be able to use pure vegetable oil or even canola in place of the coconut oil, but I'm wondering if 1 tsp coconut flavoring is what it's calling for instead. You can find it alongside vanilla, almond, %26amp; other flavorings at the grocers'. If your recipe already has some type of shortening such as Crisco or butter, I'd either add the flavoring or omit altogether.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment